“Sarkozy has to give back the money he accepted from Libya to finance his electoral campaign. We financed his campaign and we have the proof… The first thing we’re demanding is that this clown gives back the money to the Libyan people.”
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi — March 2011
March 29 2018 — Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy is to face trial for corruption and influence peddling. “Rien ne va plus” for Nicolas Sarkozy. Hard evidence of Libyan funding are quickly piling up. Follow us on Twitter: @Intel_Today
UPDATE IV (February 22 2020) — Nicolas Sarkozy is the first former president (2007 to 2012) of France to stand trial on corruption charges.
The trial will start on October 5 2020 and will last until October 22 2020. There will be an interim hearing on June 17 2020 to allow prosecution and defense to discuss any new information.
This will be the first trial in several corruption investigations against Sarkozy.
Sarkozy has also been charged over accusations he accepted millions of euros from the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi towards his first presidential campaign in 2007.
During a recent event (see video), Sarkozy actually quotes Nelson Mandela:
“I never lose. I either win or learn.”
Dear Sarko, I have a couple of news for you. I am truly sorry to be the one to tell you this but you are no Mandela!
Rolihlahla — “The troublemaker” — was a tall man, an athlete and the most respected statesman of his generation while you, Mr Sarkozy, are just a short fat crook.
Last but not least, Nelson Mandela spent time in prison BEFORE becoming president.
This being said, we can probably agree on one thing. Sarkozy is about to learn. A lot.
END of UPDATE
Mr Sarkozy allegedly sought to influence a judge — Gilbert Azibert — who was looking into suspected illegal financing of his campaign.
Independently, Sarkozy is also suspected to have accepted €50m from Gaddafi’s regime.
These claims have been repeated by Saif al-Islam Gaddafi — the late Libyan dictator’s son — and French businessman Ziad Takieddine.
In 2014, the investigators wiretapped phone-calls from Paul Bismuth to judge Azibert.
During these phone calls, Mr Bismuth offered a prestigious role in Monaco to Mr Azibert in exchange for information on suspect financing case.
When the Police visited Mr Sarkozy at his house, they called Mr Bismuth’s number and the phone in Sarkozy’s pocket rang. That phone had been acquired by Thierry Herzog, Mr Sarkozy’s lawyer.
Sarkozy and his attorneys had argued that the wiretapping violated attorney-client privilege. Therefore, according to them, their wiretapped communications should be deemed inadmissible in court.
However, their appeal was rejected by the Cour de Cassation — the nation’s highest judicial body — in 2016.
The judge and Mr Sarkozy’s lawyer are also expected to stand trial.
UPDATE I (May 23 2018) — This week, new details have emerged regarding the biggest political corruption scandal to hit France in decades.
Moftah Missouri, a former Libyan diplomat and French translator of the late Gaddafi, claims that he was present when Sarkozy announce to Gaddafi that he would run for the Presidency. If true, Gaddafi was the first leader to be informed of Sarkozy’s intention.
According to Missouri, Gaddafi replied that Libya would help him. When asked what ‘help’ means in this case, Missouri said that there was not much Gaddafi could offer: either oil or money.
The exact amount is still unknown, but various sources have said that Libya financed Sarkozy’s presidential campaign with dozens of millions of euros.
Saleh Bashir — a former aide of Gaddafi — was head of the Libyan African Portfolio, a sovereign wealth fund that invested Libya’s oil wealth. Although Bashir has denied it for years, he now confirms that Libya funded Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign.
It is not entirely clear why Bashir has decided to confirm now the allegation he denied in the past. On February 23, 2018, Bashir was the target of an assassination attempt near his home in Johannesburg, South Africa. Perhaps, this incident changed his mind.
On September 5 2017, the French ‘Anti-Corruption office’ completed a devastating 22-pages report detailing the evidence of Libyan payments to the Sarkozy presidential campaign.
UPDATE II (March 29 2019) — On Monday (March 25 2019), the Paris Court of Appeal dismissed Nicolas Sarkozy’s appeal in the notorious case of “political corruption”.
The magistrates declared inadmissible the appeal lodged by the former head of state against his referral to the criminal court ordered on March 26, 2018 by the investigating judges.
They also refused to forward a priority question of constitutionality (QPC) raised by his defense.
It is now very likely that Nicolas Sarkozy will have to face justice for this affair. And more could follow…
UPDATE III (June 19 2019) — Ex-French president Sarkozy to stand trial for corruption
Nicolas Sarkozy іѕ set tо face trial оn charges оf corruption аnd influence peddling аftеr hіѕ lаѕt appeal wаѕ rejected.
Sarkozy-Kadhafi : Elise Lucet a mené l’enquête pour “Cash Investigation” – C l’hebdo – 19/05/2018
France’s Sarkozy ‘to face corruption trial’ — BBC News
Breaking News — Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy to Face Trial For Corruption [UPDATE]
One Year Ago — Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy to Face Trial For Corruption
Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy to Face Trial For Corruption [UPDATE : Date set for October 5 2020]