One Year Ago — Top US Nuclear Commander: “I wouldn’t carry out illegal nuclear strike order from Trump”

“I think some people think we’re stupid. We’re not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?”

Air Force General John Hyten — Commander of the US Strategic Command (Stratcom)

“The siren howled. But I just sat there for a few seconds, staring at the big, back-lit, red screen with the word ‘launch’ on it.”

Colonel Stanislav Petrov (September 26 1983)

“Information about the peculiar and remarkably skewed frame of mind of the Soviet leaders during those times that has emerged since the collapse of the Soviet Union makes me think there is a good chance—with all of the other events in 1983—that they really felt a NATO attack was at least possible and that they took a number of measures to enhance their military readiness short of mobilization. After going through the experience at the time, then through the post-mortems, and now through the documents, I don’t think the Soviets were crying wolf. They may not have believed a NATO attack was imminent in November 1983, but they did seem to believe that the situation was very dangerous. And US intelligence [SNIE 11–9-84 and SNIE 11–10–84] had failed to grasp the true extent of their anxiety.”

Robert Gates — CIA Deputy Director for Intelligence during Able Archer 83

November 20 2017 — Top nuclear commander General John Hyten said that he wouldn’t carry out an ‘illegal’ nuclear strike order from President Donald Trump. Follow us on Twitter: @INTEL_TODAY

RELATED POST: On This Day — Stanislav Petrov Saves the World from Nuclear War (Sept. 26 1983)

RELATED POST: On This Day — Able Archer 1983 : The Brink of Apocalypse (November 7-11, 1983)

RELATED POST: Former Double Agent : “Self-destruction of humankind has been put back on the agenda”

RELATED POST: Significant Uncertainties in the Yield Estimate of North Korea H Bomb

RELATED POST: A SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS OF NORTH KOREA SECOND NUCLEAR TEST (May 25 2009)

RELATED POST: Libyan Nuke Program Was CIA-MI6 Sting Op

On Saturday (November 18 2017), the top US nuclear commander said that he would resist President Donald Trump if he ordered an “illegal” launch of nuclear weapons.

“I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do.”

“And if it’s illegal, guess what’s going to happen? I’m going to say, ’Mr President, that’s illegal.’ And guess what he’s going to do? He’s going to say, ’What would be legal?’ And we’ll come up with options, of a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that’s the way it works. It’s not that complicated.”

“If you execute an unlawful order, you will go to jail. You could go to jail for the rest of your life.”

Some senators want legislation to alter the nuclear authority of the US president. Last week, a Senate committee held the first congressional hearing in more than four decades on the president’s authority to launch a nuclear strike.

Top nuclear commander Gen.John Hyten: I wouldn’t carry out ‘illegal’ nuclear strike order from Trump

REFERENCES

US general says he would resist ‘illegal’ Trump nuclear strike order — The Guardian

=

Top US Nuclear Commander: “I wouldn’t carry out ‘illegal’ nuclear strike order from Trump”

One Year Ago — Top US Nuclear Commander: “I wouldn’t carry out illegal nuclear strike order from Trump”

This entry was posted in Nuke and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s